RawTherapee 5.5 has been released!
you can practise the art of developing raw photos. Be sure to read
- Filter to remove striping artifacts caused by Phase Detection Auto Focus (PDAF) as seen in Sony cameras, and to remove banding artifacts caused by Nikon’s too-aggressive in-camera PDAF correction. These are available for any camera which has a PDAF entry in camconst.json, currently:
- Nikon Z 6
- Nikon Z 7
- Sony DSC-RX1RM2
- Sony ILCE-6000
- Sony ILCE-6300
- Sony ILCE-6500
- Sony ILCE-7M3
- Sony ILCE-7RM2
- Sony ILCE-7RM3
- Sony ILCE-9
- Out-of-gamut warning compatible with ICC v2 and v4 profiles.
- Ability to specify custom working color spaces through the
- Unbounded processing - allows you to decide whether out-of-gamut colors should get clipped.
- Improved support for Canon mRaw format variants.
- New Shadows/Highlights tool (replaced previous one).
- Contrast threshold mask which divides an image into areas of high and low detail, allowing the effect of certain tools to be focused where it matters most and to mitigate the effect on areas where it would be undesirable, for example having the Sharpening tool affect only the in-focus subject without affecting the out-of-focus background. Available for:
- Post-Resize Sharpening
- Dual-demosaic algorithms, making use of the new contrast threshold mask, allowing one to use a combination of demosaicing algorithms where one is best for details and the other best for plain areas.
- New color toning methods:
- Resizable main histogram with scaling modes:
- Log-Log The log scales can be adjusted by click-dragging the mouse sideways inside the histogram area.
- Support for Blackmagic and Canon Magic Lantern lj92 encoded files.
- Allows you to specify how many border rows/columns to discard during demosaicing - those who shoot raw video at a standard resolution such as 1920x1080 will appreciate being able to preserve the dimensions.
- New Soft Light tool which enhances contrast and saturation by emulating the effect of blending an image with a copy of itself in “soft light” blending mode in GIMP.
- New Haze Removal tool to reduce the effects of haze or fog.
- The Resize tool allows you to specify whether you want it to upscale or only downscale.
- New icon and cursor theme.
- ICC profile creator.
- The bundled ICC profiles have been re-generated, and now include ICC v2 and v4 variants.
- If your screen’s resolution is such that not all icons fit in a toolbar, you can now scroll the toolbar using the mouse scroll-wheel.
- New “Flexible” tone curve type. A characteristic of the cubic spline curve (renamed from “Custom” to “Standard”) is that editing one node could have a huge impact on what happens to the curve in relation to the other nodes. The new “Flexible” centripetal Catmull–Rom spline curve allows you to make adjustments to any part of the curve with little impact on the other parts.
- Allow saving both floating-point and integer type files at both 16-bit and 32-bit precision from RawTherapee GUI and CLI.
- Improved lensfun chromatic aberration correction.
- The raw chromatic aberration correction tool can now run in several iterations, and gained a feature to avoid introducing a color shift which could result from correcting chromatic aberration before demosaicing.
- Certain sliders now operate on a logarithmic scale, allowing for a meaningful response over large ranges.
- Dedicated “Reset” button in Crop tool.
- Support for new cameras, and new input color profiles.
- Speed enhancements and bug fixes, for a total of over 1300 commits.
RawTherapee and other open-source projects require access to sample raw files from various camera makes and models in order to support those raw formats correctly. You can help by submitting raw files to RPU: https://raw.pixls.us/
News Relevant to Package Maintainers
Changes since 5.4:
- Requires libtiff >= 4.0.4.
- Requires CMake >= 2.8.8.
- Optional codesigning commands have been added to the CMakeLists.txt and macosx_bundle.sh scripts. If you wish to codesign the built packages (.app and .dmg), add your details to your CMake command flags:
-DCODESIGNID:STRING="Developer ID Application: Firstname Lastname (xxx)"
- To get the source code, either clone from git or use the tarball from http://rawtherapee.com/shared/source/ . Do not use the auto-generated GitHub release tarballs.
- Requires GTK+ version >=3.16, though >=3.22.24 is recommended.
- RawTherapee 5 requires GCC-4.9 or higher, or Clang.
- Do not use
-ffast-math, it will not make RawTherapee faster but will introduce artifacts.
-O3, it will make RawTherapee faster with no known side-effects.
- For stable releases use
- For development builds and release-candidates use
News Relevant to Developers
Complete revision history available on GitHub.